A delicious diabetic alternative to the southern favorite red velvet cake. An easy, popular dessert. Serving size: 1 square.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red food coloring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup low-fat (1%) buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipping topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cream the shortening, sugar, and egg substitute together.
- In a small bowl, make a thick paste of the cocoa and food coloring and add it to the cream mixture
- Stir in the vanilla
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Alternately, add portions of the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the cream mixture, stir well.
- Mix in the vinegar and pour the batter into a 9 X 9 inch or oblong pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Cut into 10 squares and top each square with whipped topping. You can add raspberries or strawberries for garnish.
- Amount per serving (10 total)
- Calories: 326
- Fat: 12g
- Carbs: 48g
- Protein: 7g